School Update re COVID: May 15th, 2020
I hope you and your loved ones are safe and healthy as we move toward the end of the 2019-20 school year. All of you remain in the forefront of my mind as I know the last two months have been difficult for everyone while we've all experienced a very different and challenging way of life.
I write to you today to share with you our plans to date:
- Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 - Class campaigns will not be sent out for Memorial Day.
- Virtual Graduation for our 6th graders will take place on Friday, May 29th at 10 a.m.
- Summer programs for June will not take place. If you have paid all or a portion of your child's weekly Summer Camp through UltraCamp, your account will be refunded within the next 3 weeks and any scheduled payments will be deleted. For those of you with children enrolled in the Toddler Summer Program and/or Early Childhood Summer program, your account will not be billed until we know about the remainder of the summer.
- Plans for July summer programs will be announced by June 12th.
- Plans for August summer programs will be announced no later than July 15th.
- Having closure to the 2019-20 school year - Teachers are each planning a way to have closure for the year for the students based on their developmental stages, and they will share this with their families.
- Pick up of students' belongings & returning of book bags - Teachers will be gathering the students' belongings (including any medications), and there will be staggered dates whereby our families may drive through to pick them up. This schedule is below
- Toddler Families: Tuesday, June 2nd, 9am-3pm
- Early Childhood Families: Wednesday, June 3rd, 9am-3pm
- Elementary Families: Thursday, June 4th, 9am-3pm
- Return of book bags - For those families whose children have book bags from our Reading Specialist, Jessie, we ask that you return these when you pick up belongings and that your child's name be attached to the bag.
- Credits for unused Pasta Tuesday and Pizza Friday have been issued to families' tuition accounts. If your child isn't returning next year, and this credit results in a credit balance on your account, you will receive a reimbursement check in June.
- 2020-21 school year - Schedules and scenarios for the 2020-21 school year will be announced no later than June 30th.
As we continue to live in a world where the information relative to COVID-19 is rapidly changing, we are working tirelessly to stay on top of it while also strategizing to come up with multiple contingency plans for the fall with the information we have in the event they are necessary. We will continue to do this throughout June in hopes this time will yield a little more clarity for independent schools on the parameters and some good models from other countries/states/schools. We are working closely with the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools (NCAIS) as well as NCAIS member Heads of Schools around the state and locally to arrive at policies, protocols, and safety practices in all areas of our operations, many of which will be guided by the NCDHHS and the CDC.
Again, our heartfelt thanks to our amazing families for your kindness over the last two months. As I reflect on your commitment, patience, and support, I am reminded of the same from our alum families throughout the 25 years that I've been associated with MSD either as a parent or a staff member. It has been the tireless efforts and commitment of the families and staff members throughout our school's 43 year history that helped shape and grow MSD to the school it is for the children we serve today. Whatever landscape our nation and community have to traverse over the next several months, please know that your steadfastness adds yet another layer of strong foundation to our school for children to benefit from long after your children move on, and for that, we're all very grateful.
Enjoy your weekend.
All the best, Tammy